Bob Baker's The Buzz Factor
Music marketing tips and self-promotion ideas for independent songwriters, musicians and bands.
Music marketing ideas for DIY artists, managers, promoters and music biz pros
September 16, 2005
Stupid Mistakes Musicians Make
"Hi Bob, it's Beau Wadsworth with the Rude Street Peters. I'm a big fan, bought your books, etc. Anyway, you have talked in the past about how important it is to put contact info on ALL of your materials -- every single piece. So I thought you would appreciate this."
Beau sent me this forwarded e-mail from the Film Music Network mailing list:
"We received a CD from a group for a documentary that I'm supervising and there is no contact information on the CD. I'm interested in licensing one of their tracks."
Later in the same message, the mailing list moderator added:
"This music supervisor is ready to license this music, but the band failed to put contact information on the CD. Putting it on the tray card or case is not good enough, especially if the CD gets separated from the case. SO ... if you're the band who submitted it, please contact (details left out for privacy reasons) and we'll get your info to this music supervisor."
There's no need for me to elaborate on this much further. The point is clear. Don't take anything for granted. Assume the items in your promo kits will get separated, stepped on, mutilated and run through the ringer. Package them securely and make sure EVERYTHING is labeled properly and clearly.
Don't miss out on a great opportunity because of a simple, stupid mistake!
Get more tips like these when you subscribe to my free Buzz Factor ezine — the longest running music career tips email newsletter on the planet. Since 1995. Learn more about the free subscription here.
Your email address will not be shared. Unsubscribe at any time.
Connect with Bob on Google+
FREE Music Tips Ezine
- Get Bob's Free Music Marketing Tips by Email. Find out more.
What About Bob?
Bob Baker is an author, speaker, teacher, indie musician and former music magazine editor dedicated to showing musicians of all kinds how to get exposure, connect with fans, sell more music, and increase their incomes.
Guerrilla Music Marketing Online
129 Free & Low-Cost Ways to Promote & Sell Your Music on the Internet
Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook:
201 Self-Promotion Ideas for Song-
writers, Musicians and Bands on a Budget
- Killer Music Press Kits
- Guerrilla Music Marketing, Encore Edition
- Killer Music Web Sites
- DIY Music Marketing for the Serious Musician
- How to Tap Into NACA and the Lucrative College Music Market
- Online Music PR Hot List
- How to Use Video to Promote Your Music Online
- 55 Ways to Promote & Sell Your Book on the Internet
- How to Publish Your Own Indie Book
- Unleash the Artist Within
Connect with Bob on
- Why Your Audience Needs You
- Music Biz Headaches: You Need the Eggs
- Make Money Selling Digital Downloads
- Help Hurricane Victims
- Sell More Music CDs Offline
- Outrageous Music Marketing Ideas
- The Success of Self-Reliance
- More Profitable Music Sales Tips
- Music Ads: 6 Steps to Powerful Promotion
- GarageSpin Delivers the Music Goods
Favorite Music Blogs
- DIY Musician
- Music Think Tank
- David Hooper
- Ariel Hyatt
- Derek Sivers
- Brian Thompson
- Michael Brandvold
- Artists House Music
- Bob Lefsetz
Copyright 2004-2013 Bob Baker