Bob Baker's The Buzz Factor
Music marketing tips and self-promotion ideas for independent songwriters, musicians and bands.
Music marketing ideas for DIY artists, managers, promoters and music biz pros
March 15, 2006
Are You Shortchanging Yourself?
One of the things I'm looking forward to in Austin is finally meeting my longtime music pal Mark Gunn in person. He's a smart indie musician who has posted a lot of great promo ideas online over the years.
In an article called The Price Is Right, Marc gets pissed about people who suggest that indie artists should charge no more than $10 for their CDs. He writes, "How do I say this nicely ... That's Bull Sh*t! It's hard enough for us to make a decent living selling CDs, but to sell them for $10? Unless you have less than 10 songs, don't listen to 'em."
Marc continues, "Will more people buy the [lower priced] CD? Well, probably ... a few. But you know what? If people like your music, they WILL pay $15 for a CD! Surprise, surprise, surprise. They may hesitate a bit, but they will eventually buy it, and when they do, it will mean so much more to them. Don't be fooled. You are a professional. Now act like one."
Great attitude. In the article, Mark also points out another great reason to raise your prices: A higher price point allows you room to discount your CDs from time to time. This makes your fans feel good because they got a deal -- and you still make a few bucks.-Bob
Get more tips like these when you subscribe to my free Buzz Factor ezine — the longest running music career tips email newsletter on the planet. Since 1995. Learn more about the free subscription here.
Your email address will not be shared. Unsubscribe at any time.
Connect with Bob on Google+
FREE Music Tips Ezine
- Get Bob's Free Music Marketing Tips by Email. Find out more.
What About Bob?
Bob Baker is an author, speaker, teacher, indie musician and former music magazine editor dedicated to showing musicians of all kinds how to get exposure, connect with fans, sell more music, and increase their incomes.
Guerrilla Music Marketing Online
129 Free & Low-Cost Ways to Promote & Sell Your Music on the Internet
Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook:
201 Self-Promotion Ideas for Song-
writers, Musicians and Bands on a Budget
- Killer Music Press Kits
- Guerrilla Music Marketing, Encore Edition
- Killer Music Web Sites
- DIY Music Marketing for the Serious Musician
- How to Tap Into NACA and the Lucrative College Music Market
- Online Music PR Hot List
- How to Use Video to Promote Your Music Online
- 55 Ways to Promote & Sell Your Book on the Internet
- How to Publish Your Own Indie Book
- Unleash the Artist Within
Connect with Bob on
- You the Underdog = Media Exposure
- When Talent Shows Attack!
- Bob Heading to Austin for SXSW
- MySpace Music Marketing Tips Wanted
- Three Ways to Implement the 'Music Success Formula...
- Bob's Bargain Book Bin
- Marketing That Persuades & Sells
- Light Up, Everybody!
- Clearing Up a Misunderstanding
- Music Law Articles & Legal Services
Favorite Music Blogs
- DIY Musician
- Music Think Tank
- David Hooper
- Ariel Hyatt
- Derek Sivers
- Brian Thompson
- Michael Brandvold
- Artists House Music
- Bob Lefsetz
Copyright 2004-2013 Bob Baker