Bob Baker's The Buzz Factor
Music marketing tips and self-promotion ideas for independent songwriters, musicians and bands.
Music marketing ideas for DIY artists, managers, promoters and music biz pros
March 13, 2006
You the Underdog = Media Exposure
Story lines such as "the little guy takes on corruption" or "formerly poor single mom takes on the business world and succeeds" or "one guy gets fed up and cleans up his neighborhood" are stories the media always jumps on. Even if you're selling gum, there is probably some way for you to connect your business with one of the many stories that fit into the cherished belief mold.
Well, if someone can successfully use that angle selling gum, certainly you could get coverage as a musician who overcomes an obstacle:
- Have you overcome an illness or disability?
- Did you recently have a brush with disaster and maybe even wrote a song about it?
- Or could you simply play up how you are an indie artist who is making waves in a sea of over-programmed, corporate-sponsored music?
I got this idea from Nunley's awesome 12-page report called "How to Get Free Media Publicity by Sending Press Releases Online." It's part of my brand-new Killer Music Press Kits - Deluxe Edition package, which features the classic "Killer Press Kits" report, along with sample press releases, a 29-Point Checklist, extra bonus material, and a spoken word audio track that guides you through the whole promo package creation process.
Until next time: Be the underdog ... and win!
Get more tips like these when you subscribe to my free Buzz Factor ezine — the longest running music career tips email newsletter on the planet. Since 1995. Learn more about the free subscription here.
Your email address will not be shared. Unsubscribe at any time.
Connect with Bob on Google+
FREE Music Tips Ezine
- Get Bob's Free Music Marketing Tips by Email. Find out more.
What About Bob?
Bob Baker is an author, speaker, teacher, indie musician and former music magazine editor dedicated to showing musicians of all kinds how to get exposure, connect with fans, sell more music, and increase their incomes.
Guerrilla Music Marketing Online
129 Free & Low-Cost Ways to Promote & Sell Your Music on the Internet
Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook:
201 Self-Promotion Ideas for Song-
writers, Musicians and Bands on a Budget
- Killer Music Press Kits
- Guerrilla Music Marketing, Encore Edition
- Killer Music Web Sites
- DIY Music Marketing for the Serious Musician
- How to Tap Into NACA and the Lucrative College Music Market
- Online Music PR Hot List
- How to Use Video to Promote Your Music Online
- 55 Ways to Promote & Sell Your Book on the Internet
- How to Publish Your Own Indie Book
- Unleash the Artist Within
Connect with Bob on
- When Talent Shows Attack!
- Bob Heading to Austin for SXSW
- MySpace Music Marketing Tips Wanted
- Three Ways to Implement the 'Music Success Formula...
- Bob's Bargain Book Bin
- Marketing That Persuades & Sells
- Light Up, Everybody!
- Clearing Up a Misunderstanding
- Music Law Articles & Legal Services
- Artist Empowerment Radio: What's New?
Favorite Music Blogs
- DIY Musician
- Music Think Tank
- David Hooper
- Ariel Hyatt
- Derek Sivers
- Brian Thompson
- Michael Brandvold
- Artists House Music
- Bob Lefsetz
Copyright 2004-2013 Bob Baker