Bob Baker's The Buzz Factor
Music marketing tips and self-promotion ideas for independent songwriters, musicians and bands.
Music marketing ideas for DIY artists, managers, promoters and music biz pros
May 08, 2006
Beastie Boys & Empowered Fans
Case in point: Here's what Beastie Boy Adam Yauch told Wired magazine in an article last month ...
One night, I was prowling around on our web site's message board and found a phonecam video clip that someone had taken at one of our shows. It was really grainy and shaky, but I loved how it was shot from eye level and showed a personal take on what was happening onstage. I thought it would be cool to apply that approach to a full-length concert film, so that it actually feels like you're watching a concert and not some big, overblown MTV video.
To make their new concert movie, the Beastie Boys distributed Hi8 videocams to 50 fans at a show in New York City -- and asked them to record everything they saw. Yauch then combined his favorite bits from the 100-plus hours of footage into a feature film.
In this new era, artists aren't the only ones who do the creating while fans passively sit by and wait to be fed the latest music. Now everyone has an opportunity to express themselves. Use this to your advantage. Ask your fans to produce videos, artwork, T-shirt designs, even alternate versions of your recorded music.
Get fans involved and allow them to be co-creators in your success story.
Get more tips like these when you subscribe to my free Buzz Factor ezine — the longest running music career tips email newsletter on the planet. Since 1995. Learn more about the free subscription here.
Your email address will not be shared. Unsubscribe at any time.
Connect with Bob on Google+
FREE Music Tips Ezine
- Get Bob's Free Music Marketing Tips by Email. Find out more.
What About Bob?
Bob Baker is an author, speaker, teacher, indie musician and former music magazine editor dedicated to showing musicians of all kinds how to get exposure, connect with fans, sell more music, and increase their incomes.
Guerrilla Music Marketing Online
129 Free & Low-Cost Ways to Promote & Sell Your Music on the Internet
Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook:
201 Self-Promotion Ideas for Song-
writers, Musicians and Bands on a Budget
- Killer Music Press Kits
- Guerrilla Music Marketing, Encore Edition
- Killer Music Web Sites
- DIY Music Marketing for the Serious Musician
- How to Tap Into NACA and the Lucrative College Music Market
- Online Music PR Hot List
- How to Use Video to Promote Your Music Online
- 55 Ways to Promote & Sell Your Book on the Internet
- How to Publish Your Own Indie Book
- Unleash the Artist Within
Connect with Bob on
- MC Lars Taps Into iGeneration
- The Power of Online Music Videos
- 2006, The Year of Internet Video: Get Ready
- Voice Your Opinions
- Beatle Bob and Me - Caught on Film
- Indie Music Marketing Squidoo Lens
- Viral Music Marketing - Doggie Style
- The Hunted Become the Hunters
- MySpace Music Marketing: The eBook
- The Science of Music Marketing & Money
Favorite Music Blogs
- DIY Musician
- Music Think Tank
- David Hooper
- Ariel Hyatt
- Derek Sivers
- Brian Thompson
- Michael Brandvold
- Artists House Music
- Bob Lefsetz
Copyright 2004-2013 Bob Baker