Bob Baker's The Buzz Factor
Music marketing tips and self-promotion ideas for independent songwriters, musicians and bands.
Music marketing ideas for DIY artists, managers, promoters and music biz pros
November 17, 2006
Nova Scotia Music Week Rocked!
I honestly can't remember the last time I felt so good about attending a music event. The people I met were wonderful, the amount of musical talent I witnessed was truly impressive, and the way the organizers treated my girlfriend, Pooki, and I during our stay was top-notch.
Check out photos of the people we met here on Flickr:
Nova Scotia has a rich musical history. Some of the artists who have made their mark include Hank Snow, Anne Murray, Sarah McLachlan, Sloan, the Rankin Family, and Joel Plaskett. (Check out this Wikipedia entry on the province.) There appears to be yet another surge of incredible songs and acts emerging from the region.
Here's a list of just some of the awesome artists we were lucky enough to hear live over three short days:
- Scott Macmillan & Brian Doyle
- Jill Barber
- Charlie A'Court
- RyLee Madison
- Norma MacDonald
- Jimmy Rankin
- JP Cormier
- Dave Gunning
- Old Man Luedecke
- Steven Bowers
- Joel Plaskett
- Mary Jane Lamond
A big thanks to Gordon Lapp, Chuck Teed, Mickey Quase and Keith Publicover of Music Nova Scotia for inviting me and making us feel so welcome and at home!
P.S. The cool thing is, I may be returning to Halifax in February for the East Coast Music Awards, an even bigger event. Stay tuned.
P.P.S. To cap off an already memorable trip, guess who sat behind us on the flight from Halifax to JFK? None other than Tom Selleck, Mr. Magnum PI himself.
Get more tips like these when you subscribe to my free Buzz Factor ezine — the longest running music career tips email newsletter on the planet. Since 1995. Learn more about the free subscription here.
Your email address will not be shared. Unsubscribe at any time.
Connect with Bob on Google+
FREE Music Tips Ezine
- Get Bob's Free Music Marketing Tips by Email. Find out more.
What About Bob?
Bob Baker is an author, speaker, teacher, indie musician and former music magazine editor dedicated to showing musicians of all kinds how to get exposure, connect with fans, sell more music, and increase their incomes.
Guerrilla Music Marketing Online
129 Free & Low-Cost Ways to Promote & Sell Your Music on the Internet
Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook:
201 Self-Promotion Ideas for Song-
writers, Musicians and Bands on a Budget
- Killer Music Press Kits
- Guerrilla Music Marketing, Encore Edition
- Killer Music Web Sites
- DIY Music Marketing for the Serious Musician
- How to Tap Into NACA and the Lucrative College Music Market
- Online Music PR Hot List
- How to Use Video to Promote Your Music Online
- 55 Ways to Promote & Sell Your Book on the Internet
- How to Publish Your Own Indie Book
- Unleash the Artist Within
Connect with Bob on
- Meet Me in NYC, Nova Scotia, St Louis
- John Legend: Success Without Radio
- Music Business Radio: The Dave & Bob Show
- Knocking Music Fans Off the Fence
- Hits and Misses vs Hits and Niches
- Online Music Video Promotion: New How-To Guide
- Choose Your Words Carefully
- Learning From Failure
- Bob Pics on Flickr
- The Smartest Thing You Can Do
Favorite Music Blogs
- DIY Musician
- Music Think Tank
- David Hooper
- Ariel Hyatt
- Derek Sivers
- Brian Thompson
- Michael Brandvold
- Artists House Music
- Bob Lefsetz
Copyright 2004-2013 Bob Baker