Bob Baker's The Buzz Factor
Music marketing tips and self-promotion ideas for independent songwriters, musicians and bands.
Music marketing ideas for DIY artists, managers, promoters and music biz pros
December 26, 2006
4 Steps to Creating a Music Video Buzz
That's what I call thinking inside the box!
But I can hear you now: "I can't possibly duplicate what NBC and the Justin Timberlake/Saturday Night Live brand names can accomplish."
I don't buy it. With the right idea, you can reach millions, regardless of who you are or where you start from.
The Four-Step Formula for Creating a Music Video Buzz
Come on, admit it ... If Joe Blow from Podunk, Montana, had produced the "Dick in a Box" music video, it would still be a huge hit on YouTube.
1) Write and record a clever, meaningful, risque and/or hilarious song.
2) Produce a low-budget video to visually represent the song.
3) Post it on YouTube and share the link with your friends and fans.
4) If it's remarkable and "Hey, you've got to see this"-worthy enough, people will do all the promotion work for you by spreading it.
It's not money and clout that you need. It's a remarkable, buzz-worthy idea. What's yours?
P.S. Want more online music video ideas? You'll find dozens of them in my new special report How to Use Video to Promote Your Music Online.
Get more tips like these when you subscribe to my free Buzz Factor ezine — the longest running music career tips email newsletter on the planet. Since 1995. Learn more about the free subscription here.
Your email address will not be shared. Unsubscribe at any time.
Connect with Bob on Google+
FREE Music Tips Ezine
- Get Bob's Free Music Marketing Tips by Email. Find out more.
What About Bob?
Bob Baker is an author, speaker, teacher, indie musician and former music magazine editor dedicated to showing musicians of all kinds how to get exposure, connect with fans, sell more music, and increase their incomes.
Guerrilla Music Marketing Online
129 Free & Low-Cost Ways to Promote & Sell Your Music on the Internet
Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook:
201 Self-Promotion Ideas for Song-
writers, Musicians and Bands on a Budget
- Killer Music Press Kits
- Guerrilla Music Marketing, Encore Edition
- Killer Music Web Sites
- DIY Music Marketing for the Serious Musician
- How to Tap Into NACA and the Lucrative College Music Market
- Online Music PR Hot List
- How to Use Video to Promote Your Music Online
- 55 Ways to Promote & Sell Your Book on the Internet
- How to Publish Your Own Indie Book
- Unleash the Artist Within
Connect with Bob on
- 5 Things You Didn't Know About Me
- Holiday Video Clip - From My Family to Yours
- Free Music Web Site Teleclass Dec 20
- Manhattan Marketing Ideas
- Should Your Bits Be Free?
- When iPods Attack
- Get the Music Tips You Want
- Ice Storm Music Marketing Video
- New Buzz Factor Ezine Online
- The Power of Taking Action
Favorite Music Blogs
- DIY Musician
- Music Think Tank
- David Hooper
- Ariel Hyatt
- Derek Sivers
- Brian Thompson
- Michael Brandvold
- Artists House Music
- Bob Lefsetz
Copyright 2004-2013 Bob Baker