Bob Baker's The Buzz Factor
Music marketing tips and self-promotion ideas for independent songwriters, musicians and bands.
Music marketing ideas for DIY artists, managers, promoters and music biz pros
January 30, 2007
14 Things I've Learned About Indie Music Success
- Turn your mistakes into a reference library, not a room to live in.
- Do not take advice from people who are broke and struggling --
unless you want to end up like themyou can admire them and appreciate their talent, just don't take career advice (especially financial) from them.
- Great marketing is falling in love with something, then selling your love for it -- not the product itself.
- Realize the lifetime value of a fan: It's far more than a $15 CD sale.
- Pick one aspect of your music or personality and make that the cornerstone of your public identity.
- Conduct yourself as if you deliver great value to everyone you encounter -- even if you don't believe you actually do at the moment.
- Be willing to take smart risks and overcome the fear of failure. Ask: "What's the worst thing that can happen?" Usually, not much.
- Beware of the quick fix. The sure and steady marathon beats the sprint every time.
- Ask: "How did you hear about us/me/the event?" It's one of the best, low-cost research tools you can use.
- Ask: "What will it take to get from 'Here's what I dream about' to 'Here's what I did'?"
- No one will manage you until you can manage yourself.
- Be proactive instead of reactive. In other words, create the circumstances you want, don't merely respond to what's handed to you.
- Stagnation occurs when your fear of the unknown is greater than your desire for a better life.
- What you do today sets the stage for the success you will enjoy tomorrow. Don't squander today.
Your email address will not be shared. Unsubscribe at any time.
Connect with Bob on Google+
FREE Music Tips Ezine
- Get Bob's Free Music Marketing Tips by Email. Find out more.
What About Bob?
Bob Baker is an author, speaker, teacher, indie musician and former music magazine editor dedicated to showing musicians of all kinds how to get exposure, connect with fans, sell more music, and increase their incomes.
Guerrilla Music Marketing Online
129 Free & Low-Cost Ways to Promote & Sell Your Music on the Internet
Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook:
201 Self-Promotion Ideas for Song-
writers, Musicians and Bands on a Budget
- Killer Music Press Kits
- Guerrilla Music Marketing, Encore Edition
- Killer Music Web Sites
- DIY Music Marketing for the Serious Musician
- How to Tap Into NACA and the Lucrative College Music Market
- Online Music PR Hot List
- How to Use Video to Promote Your Music Online
- 55 Ways to Promote & Sell Your Book on the Internet
- How to Publish Your Own Indie Book
- Unleash the Artist Within
Connect with Bob on
- The Best Music Marketing Thing You Can Do
- Bob on Musicians Cooler Podcast
- Hilarious: Garage Orchestra Story in the Onion
- Chicago Music Workshop Jan 25
- How to Rank Higher on Google
- Google Music Keyword Search Rankings
- Music Promotion Blog Makes the Z List
- What's Wrong With This Picture?
- Where in the World Is Bob Baker?
- Remembering Laurie Z
Favorite Music Blogs
- DIY Musician
- Music Think Tank
- David Hooper
- Ariel Hyatt
- Derek Sivers
- Brian Thompson
- Michael Brandvold
- Artists House Music
- Bob Lefsetz
Copyright 2004-2013 Bob Baker