Bob Baker's The Buzz Factor
Music marketing tips and self-promotion ideas for independent songwriters, musicians and bands.
Music marketing ideas for DIY artists, managers, promoters and music biz pros
January 03, 2007
The Worst Year for Hit Albums in 23 Years
As Chris Anderson explains in this Long Tail blog post:
It's January, so it's time to start updating the death-of-the-blockbuster stats. Here's my favorite, the precipitous decline in gold, platinum, multiplatinum albums (that's 500,000, 1,000,000 and 1-10 million units sold). According to the RIAA's database, just 285 albums were awarded one of those certifications in 2006, the lowest figure in 23 years.
The reason: As I wrote about before, we're moving from an economy of hits and misses to one of hits and niches. Consumers are as passionate about music as they've ever been. It's just that now the distribution of money and attention is spreading out. The hits aren't as big as they used to be, and niche markets are fattening up with increased exposure through blogs, podcasts, MySpace, YouTube, and more.
I've said it before and I'll say it again ... It's a great time to be an independent artist or music promoter. The tools of self-empowerment and self-expression are at your fingertips. The only question is ...
What are you going to do with them?
Get more tips like these when you subscribe to my free Buzz Factor ezine — the longest running music career tips email newsletter on the planet. Since 1995. Learn more about the free subscription here.
Your email address will not be shared. Unsubscribe at any time.
Connect with Bob on Google+
FREE Music Tips Ezine
- Get Bob's Free Music Marketing Tips by Email. Find out more.
What About Bob?
Bob Baker is an author, speaker, teacher, indie musician and former music magazine editor dedicated to showing musicians of all kinds how to get exposure, connect with fans, sell more music, and increase their incomes.
Guerrilla Music Marketing Online
129 Free & Low-Cost Ways to Promote & Sell Your Music on the Internet
Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook:
201 Self-Promotion Ideas for Song-
writers, Musicians and Bands on a Budget
- Killer Music Press Kits
- Guerrilla Music Marketing, Encore Edition
- Killer Music Web Sites
- DIY Music Marketing for the Serious Musician
- How to Tap Into NACA and the Lucrative College Music Market
- Online Music PR Hot List
- How to Use Video to Promote Your Music Online
- 55 Ways to Promote & Sell Your Book on the Internet
- How to Publish Your Own Indie Book
- Unleash the Artist Within
Connect with Bob on
- How The Beatles Inspire DIY Behavior
- Indie Music Marketing Insiders Club: Get Your Free...
- Top 10 Indie Music Promotion Blog Posts of 2006
- Fear & Loathing in Manhattan
- 4 Steps to Creating a Music Video Buzz
- 5 Things You Didn't Know About Me
- Holiday Video Clip - From My Family to Yours
- Free Music Web Site Teleclass Dec 20
- Manhattan Marketing Ideas
- Should Your Bits Be Free?
Favorite Music Blogs
- DIY Musician
- Music Think Tank
- David Hooper
- Ariel Hyatt
- Derek Sivers
- Brian Thompson
- Michael Brandvold
- Artists House Music
- Bob Lefsetz
Copyright 2004-2013 Bob Baker