Bob Baker's The Buzz Factor
Music marketing tips and self-promotion ideas for independent songwriters, musicians and bands.
Music marketing ideas for DIY artists, managers, promoters and music biz pros
March 22, 2007
Black Lab Bum-Rushes the iTunes Charts
The band Black Lab is doing the same thing with iTunes today. Here's part of their story from the Bum Rush the Charts blog:
On March 22, we are going to take an indie podsafe music artist to number one on the iTunes singles charts as a demonstration of our reach ... The track we've chosen is "Mine Again" by the band Black Lab. A band that was dropped from not just one, but two major record labels (Geffen and Sony/Epic) and in the process forced them to fight to get their own music back. We picked them because making them number one, even for just one day, will remind the RIAA record labels of what they turned their backs on -- and who they ignore at their peril.
I'm not sure how much peril this will cause, but it's a cool idea -- if for no other reason than because they are one of the first bands to use this creative tactic to chart on iTunes.
Another smart thing Black Lab is doing is donating a chunk of their profits to a number of college scholarships.
Interested in making a 99 cent statement? Visit http://bumrushthecharts.blogspot.com/ today.
-Bob Get more tips like these when you subscribe to my free Buzz Factor ezine — the longest running music career tips email newsletter on the planet. Since 1995. Learn more about the free subscription here.
Your email address will not be shared. Unsubscribe at any time.
Connect with Bob on Google+
FREE Music Tips Ezine
- Get Bob's Free Music Marketing Tips by Email. Find out more.
What About Bob?
Bob Baker is an author, speaker, teacher, indie musician and former music magazine editor dedicated to showing musicians of all kinds how to get exposure, connect with fans, sell more music, and increase their incomes.
Guerrilla Music Marketing Online
129 Free & Low-Cost Ways to Promote & Sell Your Music on the Internet
Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook:
201 Self-Promotion Ideas for Song-
writers, Musicians and Bands on a Budget
- Killer Music Press Kits
- Guerrilla Music Marketing, Encore Edition
- Killer Music Web Sites
- DIY Music Marketing for the Serious Musician
- How to Tap Into NACA and the Lucrative College Music Market
- Online Music PR Hot List
- How to Use Video to Promote Your Music Online
- 55 Ways to Promote & Sell Your Book on the Internet
- How to Publish Your Own Indie Book
- Unleash the Artist Within
Connect with Bob on
- The James Brown/Don Knotts Publicity Factor
- Do You Have a Book Inside You?
- The Secret Music Life of Kat
- How Musician X Sold 500,000 CDs
- 5 New Music Web Sites
- MySpace Music Article in Australia
- YouTube, Dating Tips, and Gym Class Heroes
- Da Vinci Code Meets Rock & Roll Jihad
- Develop a Guerrilla Marketing Calendar
- 5 Things I Learned in Halifax During the ECMAs
Favorite Music Blogs
- DIY Musician
- Music Think Tank
- David Hooper
- Ariel Hyatt
- Derek Sivers
- Brian Thompson
- Michael Brandvold
- Artists House Music
- Bob Lefsetz
Copyright 2004-2013 Bob Baker