Bob Baker's The Buzz Factor
Music marketing tips and self-promotion ideas for independent songwriters, musicians and bands.
Music marketing ideas for DIY artists, managers, promoters and music biz pros
April 16, 2007
Viral Music Video Buzz: Use This
Exhibit A is Alanis Morissette's "My Humps" video, which just surpassed 5 million views on YouTube. It's a slow, plaintive spoof of the Black Eyed Peas' silly "My Humps" track. Who knew that a cover song would catapult Alanis back into the public eye?
Another great example of music video buzz is Matt Weddle's awesome acoustic cover of "Hey Ya" by Outkast. This video has about 395,000 YouTube views. Matt is a member of the band Obadiah Parker, and both he and his band have benefited greatly from the "Hey Ya" exposure.
Yes, I know you probably focus on original music and are most interested in gaining wider exposure for the sounds you create. That's great. But don't overlook the possibility of recording a popular cover song that you put your own original spin on. When the cover gets attention, your name and the other music you produce gets a free ride along with it.
P.S. For more advice on producing low-cost, buzz-worthy video content, check out my report How to Use Video to Promote Your Music Online. Get more tips like these when you subscribe to my free Buzz Factor ezine — the longest running music career tips email newsletter on the planet. Since 1995. Learn more about the free subscription here.
Your email address will not be shared. Unsubscribe at any time.
Connect with Bob on Google+
FREE Music Tips Ezine
- Get Bob's Free Music Marketing Tips by Email. Find out more.
What About Bob?
Bob Baker is an author, speaker, teacher, indie musician and former music magazine editor dedicated to showing musicians of all kinds how to get exposure, connect with fans, sell more music, and increase their incomes.
Guerrilla Music Marketing Online
129 Free & Low-Cost Ways to Promote & Sell Your Music on the Internet
Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook:
201 Self-Promotion Ideas for Song-
writers, Musicians and Bands on a Budget
- Killer Music Press Kits
- Guerrilla Music Marketing, Encore Edition
- Killer Music Web Sites
- DIY Music Marketing for the Serious Musician
- How to Tap Into NACA and the Lucrative College Music Market
- Online Music PR Hot List
- How to Use Video to Promote Your Music Online
- 55 Ways to Promote & Sell Your Book on the Internet
- How to Publish Your Own Indie Book
- Unleash the Artist Within
Connect with Bob on
- Earning Attention: It's All About Context
- The Truth About Music Industry Upheaval
- One F#%@ing Awesome Interview
- New 'Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook' Edition
- Best Advice for New Artists
- Catch Me Now on Twitter
- 2 Internet Music Promotion Tips
- Blog Tag: 7 Songs I Like
- Signed, Sealed ... See Ya!
- Black Lab Bum-Rushes the iTunes Charts
Favorite Music Blogs
- DIY Musician
- Music Think Tank
- David Hooper
- Ariel Hyatt
- Derek Sivers
- Brian Thompson
- Michael Brandvold
- Artists House Music
- Bob Lefsetz
Copyright 2004-2013 Bob Baker