Bob Baker's The Buzz Factor
Music marketing tips and self-promotion ideas for independent songwriters, musicians and bands.
Music marketing ideas for DIY artists, managers, promoters and music biz pros
June 14, 2007
BurnLounge Burning Out?
Here's part of an article from Digital Media Wire (one of many news stories making the rounds online):
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has filed a complaint in a California federal court against BurnLounge, alleging the digital music store is in fact an illegal pyramid scheme.
New York-based BurnLounge charges users between $30 and over $400 a year for subscriptions to its service, which allows them to create their own digital music stores.
But the FTC said the company provides payments mainly for recruiting new participants, rather than on the retail sale of products -- which the FTC alleges would result in most participants losing money.
I know this is a hot issue, depending on which side of the fence you sit. So I don't want to get side-tracked debated the pros and cons of BurnLounge. Just read up on it and make your own decision.
Make the most of the world's biggest social networking web site with this great primer on MySpace Music Marketing. Available in paperback or ebook format. Get more details here. Get more tips like these when you subscribe to my free Buzz Factor ezine — the longest running music career tips email newsletter on the planet. Since 1995. Learn more about the free subscription here.
Your email address will not be shared. Unsubscribe at any time.
Connect with Bob on Google+
FREE Music Tips Ezine
- Get Bob's Free Music Marketing Tips by Email. Find out more.
What About Bob?
Bob Baker is an author, speaker, teacher, indie musician and former music magazine editor dedicated to showing musicians of all kinds how to get exposure, connect with fans, sell more music, and increase their incomes.
Guerrilla Music Marketing Online
129 Free & Low-Cost Ways to Promote & Sell Your Music on the Internet
Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook:
201 Self-Promotion Ideas for Song-
writers, Musicians and Bands on a Budget
- Killer Music Press Kits
- Guerrilla Music Marketing, Encore Edition
- Killer Music Web Sites
- DIY Music Marketing for the Serious Musician
- How to Tap Into NACA and the Lucrative College Music Market
- Online Music PR Hot List
- How to Use Video to Promote Your Music Online
- 55 Ways to Promote & Sell Your Book on the Internet
- How to Publish Your Own Indie Book
- Unleash the Artist Within
Connect with Bob on
- Movies & Music: 48 Hour Style
- Is Payola Settlement Good for Indies?
- Music Marketing in the Digital Age
- Co-Create With Your Fans
- The Power of Face to Face
- Music Audio Tips on Snocap
- Everything You Need to Know About Music Marketing
- June 2 NYC Music PR Workshop, 2nd Session Added
- 11 Reasons Not to Sign With a Major Label
- Is There a Book Inside You?
Favorite Music Blogs
- DIY Musician
- Music Think Tank
- David Hooper
- Ariel Hyatt
- Derek Sivers
- Brian Thompson
- Michael Brandvold
- Artists House Music
- Bob Lefsetz
Copyright 2004-2013 Bob Baker