Bob Baker's The Buzz Factor
Music marketing tips and self-promotion ideas for independent songwriters, musicians and bands.
Music marketing ideas for DIY artists, managers, promoters and music biz pros
June 08, 2007
Co-Create With Your Fans
In chapter 5 of the new Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook I write about the importance of co-creating with your fans. It's a new, interactive world ... so you'd better embrace it. Gone are the days when consumers were passive absorbers of marketing messages. More and more they're becoming hands-on participants.
Case in point:
Last week I asked subscribers to my Buzz Factor ezine to send me photos, video and/or audio of them endorsing my books. Something more concrete than the traditional text-only "I love Bob's book." -Jane Doe.
Steve Dockendorf took the idea and ran with it. First, he sent me the photo above. Then he recorded a simple video and posted it on YouTube at
(Be sure to turn up the volume to hear it.)
Watch it and see how he cleverly plugs his own music and web site and asks for listener feedback. Also note that, by promoting my books, he gets a bonus boost of exposure from me talking about him!
Here's another one -- a digital pic of Scott Macmillan enjoying my Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook:
Scott is a renowned instrumentalist, composer and conductor from Halifax, Nova Scotia. Since he took the trouble to pose for this picture and send it, you can bet I'll plug his web site as well.
See how this co-creation thing works? Make this same kind of offer to your fans.
And, if you'd like to see your image and link on these pages, send me your best digital photos or a link to a video of you saying something nice about my books and ideas.
So ... get out there and co-create!
Wanna create a music buzz online? Check out my special report 50 Ways to Promote and Sell Your Music on the Internet. Get more tips like these when you subscribe to my free Buzz Factor ezine — the longest running music career tips email newsletter on the planet. Since 1995. Learn more about the free subscription here.
Your email address will not be shared. Unsubscribe at any time.
Connect with Bob on Google+
FREE Music Tips Ezine
- Get Bob's Free Music Marketing Tips by Email. Find out more.
What About Bob?
Bob Baker is an author, speaker, teacher, indie musician and former music magazine editor dedicated to showing musicians of all kinds how to get exposure, connect with fans, sell more music, and increase their incomes.
Guerrilla Music Marketing Online
129 Free & Low-Cost Ways to Promote & Sell Your Music on the Internet
Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook:
201 Self-Promotion Ideas for Song-
writers, Musicians and Bands on a Budget
- Killer Music Press Kits
- Guerrilla Music Marketing, Encore Edition
- Killer Music Web Sites
- DIY Music Marketing for the Serious Musician
- How to Tap Into NACA and the Lucrative College Music Market
- Online Music PR Hot List
- How to Use Video to Promote Your Music Online
- 55 Ways to Promote & Sell Your Book on the Internet
- How to Publish Your Own Indie Book
- Unleash the Artist Within
Connect with Bob on
- The Power of Face to Face
- Music Audio Tips on Snocap
- Everything You Need to Know About Music Marketing
- June 2 NYC Music PR Workshop, 2nd Session Added
- 11 Reasons Not to Sign With a Major Label
- Is There a Book Inside You?
- How to Hit a Marketing Home Run
- 4 More Music Sites You Need to Know About
- Music PR Workshop June 2 in NYC
- Attract Subscribers, Not Visitors
Favorite Music Blogs
- DIY Musician
- Music Think Tank
- David Hooper
- Ariel Hyatt
- Derek Sivers
- Brian Thompson
- Michael Brandvold
- Artists House Music
- Bob Lefsetz
Copyright 2004-2013 Bob Baker