Bob Baker's The Buzz Factor
Music marketing tips and self-promotion ideas for independent songwriters, musicians and bands.
Music marketing ideas for DIY artists, managers, promoters and music biz pros
July 18, 2007
Smart Ways to Use Twitter for Music
For better or worse, users have taken this Q&A theme to heart. Most people use Twitter to let people know what they're doing -- EVERYTHING they're doing! Common messages report such meaningful activities as "Stopping to get gas and buy a pack of cigs" or "Running late for the photo shoot" or "It's raining outside and I'm bored."
You're bored? Try reading through this mountain of trivial Twitter updates! Then you'll know what true agony is.
There's got to be a better!
One restaurant in Buffalo, NY, twitters its Daily Special to everyone who subscribes to its feed. Now that's useful. Mashable sends a headline and link for each of its new blog posts. That's smart.
How could an indie musician, music site or service business make the best use of Twitter? How about a ...
- Song of the day
- Recording tip of the week
- Music video of the day
- Indie artist of the week
This isn't spleen surgery. It's just making *smart* use of new technology. So give people tidbits of info they can use. Even at a mere 140 characters, wasting time is still wasting time.
Unless your fans really want to know how many times a day you go to the bathroom :-)
Here are a few other online musings on Twitter worth reading:
Twitter: Use it Productively
The Top 5 Ways Smart People Use Twitter
Eight Ways Twitter is Useful Professionally
Twitter: Marketing to the Masses
Did you enjoy this blog post? Subscribe now and get all of my newest ideas delivered by email or RSS feed. Learn how here.
Join the YouTube revolution. Read How to Use Video to Promote Your Music Online. Learn how to create, promote and profit from your own low-cost music videos. Get more tips like these when you subscribe to my free Buzz Factor ezine — the longest running music career tips email newsletter on the planet. Since 1995. Learn more about the free subscription here.
Your email address will not be shared. Unsubscribe at any time.
Connect with Bob on Google+
FREE Music Tips Ezine
- Get Bob's Free Music Marketing Tips by Email. Find out more.
What About Bob?
Bob Baker is an author, speaker, teacher, indie musician and former music magazine editor dedicated to showing musicians of all kinds how to get exposure, connect with fans, sell more music, and increase their incomes.
Guerrilla Music Marketing Online
129 Free & Low-Cost Ways to Promote & Sell Your Music on the Internet
Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook:
201 Self-Promotion Ideas for Song-
writers, Musicians and Bands on a Budget
- Killer Music Press Kits
- Guerrilla Music Marketing, Encore Edition
- Killer Music Web Sites
- DIY Music Marketing for the Serious Musician
- How to Tap Into NACA and the Lucrative College Music Market
- Online Music PR Hot List
- How to Use Video to Promote Your Music Online
- 55 Ways to Promote & Sell Your Book on the Internet
- How to Publish Your Own Indie Book
- Unleash the Artist Within
Connect with Bob on
- Making It: Today's Music Success Model
- The End of Music Business 1.0
- Blair Witch Music Project?
- 10 Ways to Turbo-Charge Your Indie Music Career
- What Should I Write Next? You Decide!
- Two Great Tele-Classes in July
- 5 Music Sites You Should Know About
- Prince Pisses Off UK Music Retailers
- Subscribe to Indie Music Promotion Blog
- 6 Ways to Fix Online Music Radio
Favorite Music Blogs
- DIY Musician
- Music Think Tank
- David Hooper
- Ariel Hyatt
- Derek Sivers
- Brian Thompson
- Michael Brandvold
- Artists House Music
- Bob Lefsetz
Copyright 2004-2013 Bob Baker