Bob Baker's The Buzz Factor
Music marketing tips and self-promotion ideas for independent songwriters, musicians and bands.
Music marketing ideas for DIY artists, managers, promoters and music biz pros
July 25, 2007
Sum Yourself Up in One Sentence
At editorial meetings, each writer comes to the table with a list of possible story ideas. To introduce each idea, all they do is read the headline they've written for the story. If everyone laughs, they know they have a winning concept that may be worthy of a full story.
To demonstrate, here are some recent Onion headlines:
- Open-Minded Music Lover Likes All Kinds Of Metal
- Acid Trip Better Planned Than Vacation
- Outdoor-Music-Festival Grounds Mistaken for Refugee Camp
- GEICO Saves 15 Percent or More by Discontinuing Advertising
- Singer Cites Girlfriend as Reason He Lives, Dies, Breaks Down, Cries
- Average Age of Wacky TV Neighbors Dropping
- Single Bee Sends Gathering of Humans Into Helpless Panic
So where's the music marketing lesson?
Well, what's your headline? How do you describe your band or your new CD or your next gig so that people immediately "get it"? Because, once they get it, then -- and only then -- can you expand on the premise and feed them more.
If an Onion writer has to take even one minute to explain a funny premise, the idea is dead in the water. The Onion's editors believe their readers shouldn't have to work hard to comprehend and enjoy entertainment. Treat your fans and potential fans with the same respect.
Did you enjoy this blog post? Subscribe now and get all of my newest ideas delivered by email or RSS feed. Learn how here.
Check out Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook, my bestselling, "must-have" title. Now revised and updated, with four new chapters on Internet music promotion. Get more details here. Get more tips like these when you subscribe to my free Buzz Factor ezine — the longest running music career tips email newsletter on the planet. Since 1995. Learn more about the free subscription here.
Your email address will not be shared. Unsubscribe at any time.
Connect with Bob on Google+
FREE Music Tips Ezine
- Get Bob's Free Music Marketing Tips by Email. Find out more.
What About Bob?
Bob Baker is an author, speaker, teacher, indie musician and former music magazine editor dedicated to showing musicians of all kinds how to get exposure, connect with fans, sell more music, and increase their incomes.
Guerrilla Music Marketing Online
129 Free & Low-Cost Ways to Promote & Sell Your Music on the Internet
Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook:
201 Self-Promotion Ideas for Song-
writers, Musicians and Bands on a Budget
- Killer Music Press Kits
- Guerrilla Music Marketing, Encore Edition
- Killer Music Web Sites
- DIY Music Marketing for the Serious Musician
- How to Tap Into NACA and the Lucrative College Music Market
- Online Music PR Hot List
- How to Use Video to Promote Your Music Online
- 55 Ways to Promote & Sell Your Book on the Internet
- How to Publish Your Own Indie Book
- Unleash the Artist Within
Connect with Bob on
- Top 5 Music News Stories
- New Indie Music Success Network
- Mystery Artist Sings No. 1 Hit Song
- Smart Ways to Use Twitter for Music
- Making It: Today's Music Success Model
- The End of Music Business 1.0
- Blair Witch Music Project?
- 10 Ways to Turbo-Charge Your Indie Music Career
- What Should I Write Next? You Decide!
- Two Great Tele-Classes in July
Favorite Music Blogs
- DIY Musician
- Music Think Tank
- David Hooper
- Ariel Hyatt
- Derek Sivers
- Brian Thompson
- Michael Brandvold
- Artists House Music
- Bob Lefsetz
Copyright 2004-2013 Bob Baker