Bob Baker's The Buzz Factor
Music marketing tips and self-promotion ideas for independent songwriters, musicians and bands.
Music marketing ideas for DIY artists, managers, promoters and music biz pros
January 24, 2008
How to Quit Your Day Job
So begins a recent post on Leo Babauta's incredibly useful Zen Habits blog. In the post he announced that he had quit his job and would become a full-time blogger after just one intense year of high-quality blogging. (He also just announced a book deal with a major publisher.)
How did Leo do it? And what can musicians learn from his example? I mean, the guy is married and has six kids. Plus he lives on Guam. It's not like he's been hobnobbing with the social elite in LA or NYC (like Perez Hilton).
Luckily, Leo explains what he did to quit his job on this page. You may not aspire to be a full-time blogger, but his "habits" can be applied to any field.
Here I've paraphrased his main points:
- Create from the heart.
- Be insanely useful (serve your fans).
- Focus your efforts and your creativity.
- Ask for donations.
- Create and sell something.
- Interact with your supporters
- Transition from your day job.
- Get out of debt and build an emergency fund.
Check out Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook, the classic guide to indie music promotion. Now revised and updated, with four new chapters on Internet and Web 2.0 music marketing. Get more details here.
Did you enjoy this blog post? Subscribe now and get all of my newest ideas delivered by email or RSS feed. Learn how here. Get more tips like these when you subscribe to my free Buzz Factor ezine — the longest running music career tips email newsletter on the planet. Since 1995. Learn more about the free subscription here.
Your email address will not be shared. Unsubscribe at any time.
Connect with Bob on Google+
FREE Music Tips Ezine
- Get Bob's Free Music Marketing Tips by Email. Find out more.
What About Bob?
Bob Baker is an author, speaker, teacher, indie musician and former music magazine editor dedicated to showing musicians of all kinds how to get exposure, connect with fans, sell more music, and increase their incomes.
Guerrilla Music Marketing Online
129 Free & Low-Cost Ways to Promote & Sell Your Music on the Internet
Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook:
201 Self-Promotion Ideas for Song-
writers, Musicians and Bands on a Budget
- Killer Music Press Kits
- Guerrilla Music Marketing, Encore Edition
- Killer Music Web Sites
- DIY Music Marketing for the Serious Musician
- How to Tap Into NACA and the Lucrative College Music Market
- Online Music PR Hot List
- How to Use Video to Promote Your Music Online
- 55 Ways to Promote & Sell Your Book on the Internet
- How to Publish Your Own Indie Book
- Unleash the Artist Within
Connect with Bob on
- Do You Have a Millionaire Mind?
- How to Master Online Music Marketing
- Indie Buzz Bootcamp: Ready to Transform Your Music...
- What a Difference 7 Years & 285 Million Can Make
- Use This to Make a Living With Your Music
- 5 Steps to Setting Music Goals You Will Reach
- 2008: Jump-Start Your Music Career
- Beyond MySpace and Facebook: Octopus Marketing
- 5 Music Web Site Design Tips
- Automate Your Music Marketing
Favorite Music Blogs
- DIY Musician
- Music Think Tank
- David Hooper
- Ariel Hyatt
- Derek Sivers
- Brian Thompson
- Michael Brandvold
- Artists House Music
- Bob Lefsetz
Copyright 2004-2013 Bob Baker