Bob Baker's The Buzz Factor
Music marketing tips and self-promotion ideas for independent songwriters, musicians and bands.
Music marketing ideas for DIY artists, managers, promoters and music biz pros
April 04, 2008
Jay-Z Live Nation $150 Million Deal
Jay-Z still owes one more studio album to Def Jam, where he was president for three years before stepping down in December after he and Universal Music Group could not agree on a more lucrative contract.
This follows on the heels of another agreement Live Nation struck last week with the band U2. According to Billboard, "It's a 12-year deal ... that includes worldwide touring, merchandising, and the band's U2.com Web site. The deal, however, is not a true 360-degree pact, as there is no publishing component and the band retains its relationship with Universal Music to release music."
Exciting times indeed. And it all reinforces the idea that aspiring musicians need to break free from the "I need a record label to save me" mentality.
These days, artists can team up with any number of business partners to make money, reach a wider audience, and make more of an impact. These partners include:
- Retailers (like Wal-Mart, Starbucks or a local indie record store)
- Events (such as Earth Day celebrations, SXSW or your church picnic)
- TV shows (Gray's Anatomy, QVC, a local cable access show)
- Organizations (Habitat for Humanity, PETA, Obama for President)
- Web sites
- Concert promoters
- Clothing brands
- Restaurant chains
Ask yourself these questions ...
- Where is there an intersection between my style of music, my fans, and the supporters of a business or organization?
- In what way could I use my music to help a company connect more with its customers?
- And how might they help me in return?
Want to create a music buzz online? Check out my special report 70 Ways to Promote and Sell Your Music on the Internet.
Did you enjoy this blog post? Subscribe now and get all of my newest ideas delivered by email or RSS feed. Learn how here. Get more tips like these when you subscribe to my free Buzz Factor ezine — the longest running music career tips email newsletter on the planet. Since 1995. Learn more about the free subscription here.
Your email address will not be shared. Unsubscribe at any time.
Connect with Bob on Google+
FREE Music Tips Ezine
- Get Bob's Free Music Marketing Tips by Email. Find out more.
What About Bob?
Bob Baker is an author, speaker, teacher, indie musician and former music magazine editor dedicated to showing musicians of all kinds how to get exposure, connect with fans, sell more music, and increase their incomes.
Guerrilla Music Marketing Online
129 Free & Low-Cost Ways to Promote & Sell Your Music on the Internet
Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook:
201 Self-Promotion Ideas for Song-
writers, Musicians and Bands on a Budget
- Killer Music Press Kits
- Guerrilla Music Marketing, Encore Edition
- Killer Music Web Sites
- DIY Music Marketing for the Serious Musician
- How to Tap Into NACA and the Lucrative College Music Market
- Online Music PR Hot List
- How to Use Video to Promote Your Music Online
- 55 Ways to Promote & Sell Your Book on the Internet
- How to Publish Your Own Indie Book
- Unleash the Artist Within
Connect with Bob on
- Berkleemusic's Spring Term Starts April 7
- Indie Buzz Bootcamp - Tickets On Sale Now
- Terry Prince Teleclass March 31
- Music Think Tank: New Group Blog
- Trent Reznor, TVT Records & iTunes
- Ashley Alexandra Dupre: Sudden Celebrity
- Folk Alliance: Pictures to Prove It
- 1,000 True Fans to Make a Living
- Fans: The New Source of Music Cash Flow
- What's Your Music News Hook?
Favorite Music Blogs
- DIY Musician
- Music Think Tank
- David Hooper
- Ariel Hyatt
- Derek Sivers
- Brian Thompson
- Michael Brandvold
- Artists House Music
- Bob Lefsetz
Copyright 2004-2013 Bob Baker