Bob Baker's The Buzz Factor
Music marketing tips and self-promotion ideas for independent songwriters, musicians and bands.
Music marketing ideas for DIY artists, managers, promoters and music biz pros
May 16, 2008
Go Straight to the Fan!
A new blog post by Bob Lefsetz echoes the direct "focus on fans" mantra I've been preaching for years. Here's an excerpt that addresses the age-old need artists have to "get the word out there":
"Realize the focus should not be on the media, but the fan. Just like the Internet rid the music business of the need to manufacture and ship, this same Net allows an act to forgo interacting with the media, to go straight to the fan. You must go straight to the fan."
Here's another gem I highly endorse:
"A Website is no longer just a repository of information, it's the front door to your fan club. You may be a musician, but second to that, you're running a club. You have to spread the word on your music, you have to create demand for your tour."
That's right. You're no longer simply an artist. You're also a community builder, a party planner, and a social director all rolled into one.
P.S. I'm not suggested you should ignore the media. In fact, I'm doing a three-hour workshop on effective music publicity June 1 in LA. The real lesson here is that all your marketing efforts are for the sole purpose of attracting fans and building relationships with them.
Register now and get discounted tickets!
Check out Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook, the classic guide to indie music promotion. Now revised and updated, with four new chapters on Internet and Web 2.0 music marketing.
Did you enjoy this blog post? Subscribe now and get all of my newest ideas delivered by email or RSS feed. Learn how here. Get more tips like these when you subscribe to my free Buzz Factor ezine — the longest running music career tips email newsletter on the planet. Since 1995. Learn more about the free subscription here.
Your email address will not be shared. Unsubscribe at any time.
Connect with Bob on Google+
FREE Music Tips Ezine
- Get Bob's Free Music Marketing Tips by Email. Find out more.
What About Bob?
Bob Baker is an author, speaker, teacher, indie musician and former music magazine editor dedicated to showing musicians of all kinds how to get exposure, connect with fans, sell more music, and increase their incomes.
Guerrilla Music Marketing Online
129 Free & Low-Cost Ways to Promote & Sell Your Music on the Internet
Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook:
201 Self-Promotion Ideas for Song-
writers, Musicians and Bands on a Budget
- Killer Music Press Kits
- Guerrilla Music Marketing, Encore Edition
- Killer Music Web Sites
- DIY Music Marketing for the Serious Musician
- How to Tap Into NACA and the Lucrative College Music Market
- Online Music PR Hot List
- How to Use Video to Promote Your Music Online
- 55 Ways to Promote & Sell Your Book on the Internet
- How to Publish Your Own Indie Book
- Unleash the Artist Within
Connect with Bob on
- Tweeting Tenaciously on Twitter
- Twitter: I Get It Now (and So Should You)
- How to Create News Hooks and Story Ideas the Music...
- What Could You Learn From a Nashville Hit Songwrit...
- The Oprah Winfrey & Jerry Springer Guide to Person...
- Tom Jackson Joins Indie Buzz Bootcamp Lineup
- Internet Music Marketing: New Podcast
- Passive Music Income & Fan Choices
- MySpace Haters & Corporate Conspiracies
- 'MySpace Music' to Take On iTunes
Favorite Music Blogs
- DIY Musician
- Music Think Tank
- David Hooper
- Ariel Hyatt
- Derek Sivers
- Brian Thompson
- Michael Brandvold
- Artists House Music
- Bob Lefsetz
Copyright 2004-2013 Bob Baker