Bob Baker's The Buzz Factor
Music marketing tips and self-promotion ideas for independent songwriters, musicians and bands.
Music marketing ideas for DIY artists, managers, promoters and music biz pros
August 20, 2008
The Power of Habits (Don't Make This Mistake)
You see, Kelli started middle school last week. After six years of attended an elementary school about 10 minutes from our house, she is now in the 6th grade at the middle school, which is also not far from home.
Here's the thing. So far, every time I've driven her to the new school, I absent-mindedly take the route to her old school. Most of the drive is the same, but at one stop light I should now go straight instead of turning left.
But, without fail, I've been either lost in thought or in a conversation with her when I get to that light. And I turn left like I've been doing for years, instead of continuing straight to the new school.
As a result, it takes us longer to get to our destination, and I end up feeling a little frustrated with myself for screwing up.
What does this have to do with your music career and promotion efforts?
- How often do you take actions based on your habits of the past ... instead of what's best for you now?
- When do you absent-mindedly go through the motions and take the long route to your music goals ... instead of waking up and realizing there's a shorter and better path?
- In what areas of your life do you operate on auto-pilot ... instead of evaluating your actions and the results you're getting?
- How much frustration do you experience because you are stuck in old behavior patterns?
- Are you still living your life with an elementary school mindset ... instead of graduating to the next level of your personal growth?
Who knew that the simple act of driving my daughter to school would give me such an education :-)
Did you enjoy this blog post? Get more tips like these when you subscribe to my Buzz Factor ezine -- the longest running music career tips email newsletter on the Internet. Since 1995. Go grab your free subscription now. Get more tips like these when you subscribe to my free Buzz Factor ezine — the longest running music career tips email newsletter on the planet. Since 1995. Learn more about the free subscription here.
Your email address will not be shared. Unsubscribe at any time.
Connect with Bob on Google+
FREE Music Tips Ezine
- Get Bob's Free Music Marketing Tips by Email. Find out more.
What About Bob?
Bob Baker is an author, speaker, teacher, indie musician and former music magazine editor dedicated to showing musicians of all kinds how to get exposure, connect with fans, sell more music, and increase their incomes.
Guerrilla Music Marketing Online
129 Free & Low-Cost Ways to Promote & Sell Your Music on the Internet
Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook:
201 Self-Promotion Ideas for Song-
writers, Musicians and Bands on a Budget
- Killer Music Press Kits
- Guerrilla Music Marketing, Encore Edition
- Killer Music Web Sites
- DIY Music Marketing for the Serious Musician
- How to Tap Into NACA and the Lucrative College Music Market
- Online Music PR Hot List
- How to Use Video to Promote Your Music Online
- 55 Ways to Promote & Sell Your Book on the Internet
- How to Publish Your Own Indie Book
- Unleash the Artist Within
Connect with Bob on
- FREE Ebook: How to Recession-Proof Your Music Care...
- YouTube Mega Hits: Avril Lavigne, Rihanna, Alicia ...
- Does Your Live Show Suck?
- Book a New Music Gig - Tonight!
- What Is MySpace Up to Now?
- Jonas Brothers: Be Famous to Someone
- Are You Breaking the Law?
- Just Stop It!
- Your Best Recession-Proof Music Tips Wanted
- Tough Love From John Taglieri & Nancy Moran
Favorite Music Blogs
- DIY Musician
- Music Think Tank
- David Hooper
- Ariel Hyatt
- Derek Sivers
- Brian Thompson
- Michael Brandvold
- Artists House Music
- Bob Lefsetz
Copyright 2004-2013 Bob Baker