Bob Baker's The Buzz Factor
Music marketing tips and self-promotion ideas for independent songwriters, musicians and bands.
Music marketing ideas for DIY artists, managers, promoters and music biz pros
October 31, 2008
Holiday Music Marketing Ideas
I picked up a flier this week. What caught my eye was the headline:
At first I assumed it was promoting a Thanksgiving concert by a metal band. But a closer look revealed it to be an annual bike ride to collect canned goods for the homeless. Very cool concept.
But I still think Cranksgiving would be a great name for a rock show in November.
Wondering how you might use this idea? Here's how ...
Write down a list of holidays that will take place over the next six months or so. Also write down any common phrases associated with those holidays. Examples:
- Merry Christmas
- Holiday cheer
- Turkey Day
- Plymouth Rock
- New Year's Eve
- Happy new year
Now take each word (and even syllable) and play with it. Go to a site like www.rhymezone.com and see what sound-alike words you come up with.
- How about "Hairy Christmas" for a hair band?
- "Plymouth Rock" has a lot of possibilities.
- "Merry KISSmas" for a tribute band.
- What about "Crappy New Year"?
- "New Years Heave" anyone?
See, this marketing thing can be creative and fun!
Got any good holiday music theme examples or ideas? I bet you do. Click the Comment link below and post yours.
Check out Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook, the classic guide to indie music promotion. Now revised and updated, with four new chapters on Internet and Web 2.0 music marketing. Get more tips like these when you subscribe to my free Buzz Factor ezine — the longest running music career tips email newsletter on the planet. Since 1995. Learn more about the free subscription here.
Your email address will not be shared. Unsubscribe at any time.
Connect with Bob on Google+
FREE Music Tips Ezine
- Get Bob's Free Music Marketing Tips by Email. Find out more.
What About Bob?
Bob Baker is an author, speaker, teacher, indie musician and former music magazine editor dedicated to showing musicians of all kinds how to get exposure, connect with fans, sell more music, and increase their incomes.
Guerrilla Music Marketing Online
129 Free & Low-Cost Ways to Promote & Sell Your Music on the Internet
Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook:
201 Self-Promotion Ideas for Song-
writers, Musicians and Bands on a Budget
- Killer Music Press Kits
- Guerrilla Music Marketing, Encore Edition
- Killer Music Web Sites
- DIY Music Marketing for the Serious Musician
- How to Tap Into NACA and the Lucrative College Music Market
- Online Music PR Hot List
- How to Use Video to Promote Your Music Online
- 55 Ways to Promote & Sell Your Book on the Internet
- How to Publish Your Own Indie Book
- Unleash the Artist Within
Connect with Bob on
- Send Me Your Top Music Marketing Question
- Music Press Kit Essentials: The Positive Quotes Pa...
- Will I See You Oct 27 in St. Louis?
- The Do-It-Yourself Music Interview
- Sell a Lot More Music & Merch for $7
- Hollywood Launch a New Music Release
- How to Thrive With Music in a Down Economy
- What Are Your Top 3 Things?
- You Can Prosper With Your Music - Even in This Eco...
- Guerrilla Marketing on the Front Lines
Favorite Music Blogs
- DIY Musician
- Music Think Tank
- David Hooper
- Ariel Hyatt
- Derek Sivers
- Brian Thompson
- Michael Brandvold
- Artists House Music
- Bob Lefsetz
Copyright 2004-2013 Bob Baker