Bob Baker's The Buzz Factor
Music marketing tips and self-promotion ideas for independent songwriters, musicians and bands.
Music marketing ideas for DIY artists, managers, promoters and music biz pros
November 26, 2008
Recalibrate Your Music Career
For a little insight into this, check out the latest rant from the ever opinionated Bob Lefsetz. The thing I like about him is that he's polarizing. You either love him or hate him. And when it comes to his take on the state of the music business, I am definitely a member of the choir he's preaching to.
Here are some gems from his Nov 24 post, called "It's 1968 All Over Again":
It's time to recalibrate. Don't even worry about hits. Uniqueness plays to your advantage. It's about growing your niche to the point it can support you.
Focus on how you can keep your core satiated, how you can grow that core, not how you can leapfrog into major media exposure.
It's not about impressing the gatekeepers, but making sure your audience has enough music to listen to, to pass along.
It doesn't pay to spend a fortune to reach an ever-shrinking audience of singles buyers. What you need is a higher price point. You need fans to generate revenue from multiple streams.
Amen to that, brother!
Wake up and smell the gigabytes. Today it's about serving your audience -- which, by the way, does NOT include everybody.
Today it's about finding the intersection where your style, substance and talent overlaps with a particular slice of the music enthusiast population.
Today it's about growing a core audience of true fans who will enjoy and support you, and will spread the word to their friends.
Read Lefsetz entire post. Absorb the articles, podcasts, videos, and music resources on this site.
Then get busy honing your sound and connecting with your core audience!
Get more tips like these when you subscribe to my free Buzz Factor ezine — the longest running music career tips email newsletter on the planet. Since 1995. Learn more about the free subscription here.
Your email address will not be shared. Unsubscribe at any time.
Connect with Bob on Google+
FREE Music Tips Ezine
- Get Bob's Free Music Marketing Tips by Email. Find out more.
What About Bob?
Bob Baker is an author, speaker, teacher, indie musician and former music magazine editor dedicated to showing musicians of all kinds how to get exposure, connect with fans, sell more music, and increase their incomes.
Guerrilla Music Marketing Online
129 Free & Low-Cost Ways to Promote & Sell Your Music on the Internet
Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook:
201 Self-Promotion Ideas for Song-
writers, Musicians and Bands on a Budget
- Killer Music Press Kits
- Guerrilla Music Marketing, Encore Edition
- Killer Music Web Sites
- DIY Music Marketing for the Serious Musician
- How to Tap Into NACA and the Lucrative College Music Market
- Online Music PR Hot List
- How to Use Video to Promote Your Music Online
- 55 Ways to Promote & Sell Your Book on the Internet
- How to Publish Your Own Indie Book
- Unleash the Artist Within
Connect with Bob on
- Is Your Music Web Site Doing More Harm Than Good?
- 7 Must-See Links for Indie Artists & Music Promote...
- Music Promotion Link Love Train
- THIS Could Happen If You Don't Vote TODAY
- Holiday Music Marketing Ideas
- Send Me Your Top Music Marketing Question
- Music Press Kit Essentials: The Positive Quotes Pa...
- Will I See You Oct 27 in St. Louis?
- The Do-It-Yourself Music Interview
- Sell a Lot More Music & Merch for $7
Favorite Music Blogs
- DIY Musician
- Music Think Tank
- David Hooper
- Ariel Hyatt
- Derek Sivers
- Brian Thompson
- Michael Brandvold
- Artists House Music
- Bob Lefsetz
Copyright 2004-2013 Bob Baker