Bob Baker's The Buzz Factor
Music marketing tips and self-promotion ideas for independent songwriters, musicians and bands.
Music marketing ideas for DIY artists, managers, promoters and music biz pros
December 15, 2008
Quincy Jones on Music Career Success
During five decades in the entertainment industry, Jones has earned a record 79 Grammy Award nominations (with 27 Grammy wins). He is perhaps best known as the producer of Michael Jackson's Thriller album, which has sold 104 million copies, and as the producer and conductor of the charity song "We Are the World."
Here are three gems on success from the article:
1) Combine your emotional passion with concrete work and education
Jones points out that the dictionary is the only place where "success" precedes "work" -- because it's alphabetical. "You have to get off your butt and do it," he says. "You have to have a core skill and study all aspects of it. The emotional side will drive you, but the science is what will prepare you."
2) Let obstacles become your inspiration
Like most success stories, Jones has had his share of challenges -- financial failures, a near-fatal cerebral aneurysm, etc. He says when faced with such dilemmas, everyone has a choice in how to deal with them.
"You can see darkness or light," he says. "I've always chosen light."
3) Success is sweetest if it expands over a lifetime
Jones has immersed himself in a wide variety of roles and styles within music. And at age 75, he has no plans of slowing down. Don't limit yourself to one area of expertise, he suggests. Expand, grow and explore throughout your entire life and career.
Wise lessons from a music industry veteran!
Get your FREE copy of my Music Marketing Secrets special report. It shows you how to get more exposure, attract more fans, and sell more music! Go here to grab your copy now ... Get more tips like these when you subscribe to my free Buzz Factor ezine — the longest running music career tips email newsletter on the planet. Since 1995. Learn more about the free subscription here.
Your email address will not be shared. Unsubscribe at any time.
Connect with Bob on Google+
FREE Music Tips Ezine
- Get Bob's Free Music Marketing Tips by Email. Find out more.
What About Bob?
Bob Baker is an author, speaker, teacher, indie musician and former music magazine editor dedicated to showing musicians of all kinds how to get exposure, connect with fans, sell more music, and increase their incomes.
Guerrilla Music Marketing Online
129 Free & Low-Cost Ways to Promote & Sell Your Music on the Internet
Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook:
201 Self-Promotion Ideas for Song-
writers, Musicians and Bands on a Budget
- Killer Music Press Kits
- Guerrilla Music Marketing, Encore Edition
- Killer Music Web Sites
- DIY Music Marketing for the Serious Musician
- How to Tap Into NACA and the Lucrative College Music Market
- Online Music PR Hot List
- How to Use Video to Promote Your Music Online
- 55 Ways to Promote & Sell Your Book on the Internet
- How to Publish Your Own Indie Book
- Unleash the Artist Within
Connect with Bob on
- Don't Read This Blog Post! And I Mean It!
- 14 Incredibly Useful Music Links: Listen to This B...
- Look Who's Talking About Me Now
- New Year's Resolutions: Your 2009 Music Prosperity...
- The Road Hammers Nail Their Web Site Design
- Recalibrate Your Music Career
- Is Your Music Web Site Doing More Harm Than Good?
- 7 Must-See Links for Indie Artists & Music Promote...
- Music Promotion Link Love Train
- THIS Could Happen If You Don't Vote TODAY
Favorite Music Blogs
- DIY Musician
- Music Think Tank
- David Hooper
- Ariel Hyatt
- Derek Sivers
- Brian Thompson
- Michael Brandvold
- Artists House Music
- Bob Lefsetz
Copyright 2004-2013 Bob Baker