Bob Baker's The Buzz Factor
Music marketing tips and self-promotion ideas for independent songwriters, musicians and bands.
Music marketing ideas for DIY artists, managers, promoters and music biz pros
July 07, 2009
Michael Jackson: 3 Thoughts About the King of Pop
- The power of music. I always encourage musicians to remember what it's like to be a fan as well as an artist -- and to realize the true impact that music can have on individuals, groups of people, entire nations, and even the world at large.
That was certainly evident as MJ's entire musical catalog hit our collective awareness this past week or so. How many times did you say or think, "Oh yeah. I remember that one. What a great song!"
Beyond that, the songs tapped into an emotion, a memory, or a spark of energy that made you feel good -- then sad to know the person who created that unique musical expression was gone.
What an amazing reminder of the powerful impact that simple melody and lyrics can create!
- The power of vision and focus. I spoke last week with someone who had spent time with Michael Jackson. He shared a story that MJ told him about his childhood.
Back in the early days of the Jackson 5, the family was driving by a crowded soccer stadium. The young Michael remarked, "I'd like to play music at soccer stadiums some day." His brothers laughed it off as a childish dream. Michael kept quiet, but later found a photo of a packed stadium and pictured himself on stage in front of a massive crowd when he rehearsed.
Obviously, MJ was socially shy and had self-image issues. But what is undeniable was his confidence and work ethic as a performer. He had boundless ambitions and put in the hours of practice and recording to become one of the most successful entertainers in history.
What a great reminder to not let perceived weaknesses or circumstances hold you back.
- Success requires sacrifice ... and balance. Countless people desire large-scale success as a performer. But few are willing to make it the focus of their existence. Michael Jackson backed up his dreams with a pursuit of excellence (and probably perfection). But going that route had consequences.
Elvis Presley suffered the same fate, as do many celebrities in the spotlight. Single-mindedness can certainly get you results -- but what about your health, your relationships, your finances, and your personal development? I'm not suggesting you water down your goals - just look at the bigger picture as you pursue them.
MJ's death serves as a reminder to think through what you're getting into when you dream big.
Michael Jackson was nearly two years older than me, which means I grew up with him -- when he was a kid, so was I; when he was making history on MTV in the '80s, I was in my 20s digging this new form of music media; when he changed his look and appeared in court in the '90s, I made fun of him along with so many others. He's always been there.
And now he's gone.
But he left behind an amazing cultural impact, an incredible body of work, countless charitable good deeds, millions of fans ...
And now a reason to pause and reflect on his gifts, his legacy, and the lessons we can learn from him.
Long live Michael Jackson!
-Bob Get more tips like these when you subscribe to my free Buzz Factor ezine — the longest running music career tips email newsletter on the planet. Since 1995. Learn more about the free subscription here.
Your email address will not be shared. Unsubscribe at any time.
Connect with Bob on Google+
FREE Music Tips Ezine
- Get Bob's Free Music Marketing Tips by Email. Find out more.
What About Bob?
Bob Baker is an author, speaker, teacher, indie musician and former music magazine editor dedicated to showing musicians of all kinds how to get exposure, connect with fans, sell more music, and increase their incomes.
Guerrilla Music Marketing Online
129 Free & Low-Cost Ways to Promote & Sell Your Music on the Internet
Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook:
201 Self-Promotion Ideas for Song-
writers, Musicians and Bands on a Budget
- Killer Music Press Kits
- Guerrilla Music Marketing, Encore Edition
- Killer Music Web Sites
- DIY Music Marketing for the Serious Musician
- How to Tap Into NACA and the Lucrative College Music Market
- Online Music PR Hot List
- How to Use Video to Promote Your Music Online
- 55 Ways to Promote & Sell Your Book on the Internet
- How to Publish Your Own Indie Book
- Unleash the Artist Within
Connect with Bob on
- The True Meaning of Independence
- Fringe Fans: They're Really Not That Into You
- The Future of Digital Music for Indie Artists
- Prices Slashed On 3 Awesome Music Resources
- The Groundhog Day Music Success Method
- How to Promote Children's Music
- Niche Music Markets: 7 Great Examples
- New Video: Define Your Musical Identity
- Gatekeepers & Music Promotion Overload: The Good N...
- The Key to Creative Success & Fulfillment
Favorite Music Blogs
- DIY Musician
- Music Think Tank
- David Hooper
- Ariel Hyatt
- Derek Sivers
- Brian Thompson
- Michael Brandvold
- Artists House Music
- Bob Lefsetz
Copyright 2004-2013 Bob Baker