Bob Baker's The Buzz Factor
Music marketing tips and self-promotion ideas for independent songwriters, musicians and bands.
Music marketing ideas for DIY artists, managers, promoters and music biz pros
January 04, 2010
3 Keys to Easy Goal Setting
There's a good chance you've already set some goals this month and are using a planning system of some type to make sure you stay on track. If so, congrats to you!
If not, that OK too. Getting clear about who you are and how you want to grow is something you can do at any time of the year -- whenever the time is right for you.
Photo by Cliff Muller
But I'd like to share a simple way to look at your life and music career in a way that will make it easier to set meaningful goals. This is something I learned from Jim Bunch when I attended one of his Ultimate Game of Life workshops.
Here's the essence of it ...
All the goals you will ever want to achieve can basically be broken down into three key areas of life:
- Goals that make you happy
- Goals that make you healthy
- Goals that make you wealthy
Too often our goals are focused on only one or two of the three areas. Some really ambitious people just play the Wealthy, Wealthy, Wealthy Game ... and ignore their happiness and health.
Some people who might be described as "slackers" will mainly play the Happy, Happy, Happy Game ... and downplay their health and ability to make money.
Still others focus on health and their appearance at the expense of the other categories.
The trick is finding a balance between all three. Although Jim says that "Happy" is listed first for a reason. It's the area of life most people overlook in the pursuit of achieving their material goals.
I love that idea. Because you're sense of joy and well-being gives you the juice to pursue the other areas of your life -- and music career.
Here are some examples from my own Happy, Healthy and Wealthy goals for the new year:
- Meditate every morning and enjoy the benefits of a clear mind
- Spend meaningful time with Pooki, my daughter, and good friends every week
- Write, record and/or perform one new song every month
- Hit the treadmill and make a health shake every morning
- Do some strength training for 20 to 30 minutes three times a week
- Get up from the computer once every hour to stretch and move
- Write, publish and promote two new books this year
- Go through my audio and video archives and create at least five new info-products this year
- Pay off the Visa card bill and home equity loan
Now get out a notebook or journal, or open a new document on your computer. Type in the three category headings: Happy, Healthy and Wealthy. Then start adding meaningful goals in each of the three areas. And make certain there's an equal balance between them all.
Do this -- really do this! -- and you'll have a happier, healthier and wealthier year.
P.S. What are your thoughts on this Happy, Healthy, Wealthy approach? Have any of your own goal setting methods you'd like to share? I welcome your comments! Get more tips like these when you subscribe to my free Buzz Factor ezine — the longest running music career tips email newsletter on the planet. Since 1995. Learn more about the free subscription here.
Your email address will not be shared. Unsubscribe at any time.
Connect with Bob on Google+
FREE Music Tips Ezine
- Get Bob's Free Music Marketing Tips by Email. Find out more.
What About Bob?
Bob Baker is an author, speaker, teacher, indie musician and former music magazine editor dedicated to showing musicians of all kinds how to get exposure, connect with fans, sell more music, and increase their incomes.
Guerrilla Music Marketing Online
129 Free & Low-Cost Ways to Promote & Sell Your Music on the Internet
Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook:
201 Self-Promotion Ideas for Song-
writers, Musicians and Bands on a Budget
- Killer Music Press Kits
- Guerrilla Music Marketing, Encore Edition
- Killer Music Web Sites
- DIY Music Marketing for the Serious Musician
- How to Tap Into NACA and the Lucrative College Music Market
- Online Music PR Hot List
- How to Use Video to Promote Your Music Online
- 55 Ways to Promote & Sell Your Book on the Internet
- How to Publish Your Own Indie Book
- Unleash the Artist Within
Connect with Bob on
- New Holiday Music Videos From Me to You
- 10 Music Links Worth Tweeting About
- What Are You Pretending to NOT Know?
- 12 Keys to Building a Thriving Music Career
- 7 Simple But Effective Steps to Reaching Your Musi...
- What Keeps You From Reaching Your Goals?
- 7 Ways to Destroy Your Music Career
- John Mayer, Augmented Reality, Music & You
- The Mike Doughty Guide to Interactive Live Shows
- Made-To-Stick Music Marketing
Favorite Music Blogs
- DIY Musician
- Music Think Tank
- David Hooper
- Ariel Hyatt
- Derek Sivers
- Brian Thompson
- Michael Brandvold
- Artists House Music
- Bob Lefsetz
Copyright 2004-2013 Bob Baker