Bob Baker's The Buzz Factor
Music marketing tips and self-promotion ideas for independent songwriters, musicians and bands.
Music marketing ideas for DIY artists, managers, promoters and music biz pros
January 20, 2010
'Pants on the Ground' & the American Idol Meme
While I was there the latest season of American Idol started. Even if you don't watch it and don't care, you may have heard the latest viral buzz about 62-year-old "General" Larry Platt. He auditioned for the show with a hilarious original hip-hop song called "Pants on the Ground."
If you missed it, watch it here.
The thing about pop culture memes like this (see this Wikipedia page for a definition) is that they provide great opportunities for smart artists to jump on them and get a temporary exposure boost.
Jimmy Fallon saw the light and did a spoof of Neil Young singing "Pants on the Ground." Funny stuff. See it here.
But what about indie acts? The best example I've found so far was created by DeStorm, who does a great video and audio remix version of "Pants on the Ground" on this page.
He even offers a free download of the track. I'm sure there are others doing this too, but it illustrates the point ...
Keep your eyes and ears open to new trends and hot topics. If there's a way to create something that's funny or amusing or that reinforces your musical identity to new fans ... jump on it while it's hot and buzz-worthy!
P.S. Don't forget to wear a belt and ... keep your pants off the ground!
Welcome to a New Kind of Multimedia Learning Experience for 2010
The Virtual Music Coach Get more tips like these when you subscribe to my free Buzz Factor ezine — the longest running music career tips email newsletter on the planet. Since 1995. Learn more about the free subscription here.
Your email address will not be shared. Unsubscribe at any time.
Connect with Bob on Google+
FREE Music Tips Ezine
- Get Bob's Free Music Marketing Tips by Email. Find out more.
What About Bob?
Bob Baker is an author, speaker, teacher, indie musician and former music magazine editor dedicated to showing musicians of all kinds how to get exposure, connect with fans, sell more music, and increase their incomes.
Guerrilla Music Marketing Online
129 Free & Low-Cost Ways to Promote & Sell Your Music on the Internet
Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook:
201 Self-Promotion Ideas for Song-
writers, Musicians and Bands on a Budget
- Killer Music Press Kits
- Guerrilla Music Marketing, Encore Edition
- Killer Music Web Sites
- DIY Music Marketing for the Serious Musician
- How to Tap Into NACA and the Lucrative College Music Market
- Online Music PR Hot List
- How to Use Video to Promote Your Music Online
- 55 Ways to Promote & Sell Your Book on the Internet
- How to Publish Your Own Indie Book
- Unleash the Artist Within
Connect with Bob on
- Avatar 3D and Your Multimedia Future
- Are You Ready for the Next Little Thing?
- 3 Keys to Easy Goal Setting
- New Holiday Music Videos From Me to You
- 10 Music Links Worth Tweeting About
- What Are You Pretending to NOT Know?
- 12 Keys to Building a Thriving Music Career
- 7 Simple But Effective Steps to Reaching Your Musi...
- What Keeps You From Reaching Your Goals?
- 7 Ways to Destroy Your Music Career
Favorite Music Blogs
- DIY Musician
- Music Think Tank
- David Hooper
- Ariel Hyatt
- Derek Sivers
- Brian Thompson
- Michael Brandvold
- Artists House Music
- Bob Lefsetz
Copyright 2004-2013 Bob Baker