Bob Baker's The Buzz Factor
Music marketing tips and self-promotion ideas for independent songwriters, musicians and bands.
Music marketing ideas for DIY artists, managers, promoters and music biz pros
June 24, 2010
Do You Use a Marketing Match or a Flamethrower?
If this describes you, here's a word of warning!
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying this flamethrower-type tactic doesn't have it's place. In certain instances, it makes sense to do something extra to create excitement.
But relying only on the flamethrower to set your music career on fire is a weak long-term strategy.
What's far better and most effective is a consistent use of matches. Every week, month after month, year after year, you light a match to set a small fire in a specific place for a particular audience.
Imagine you have 10 candles in a room that you want to light. Using a flamethrower, you could definitely light all 10 candles. You'd also scorch the walls, the furniture, the drapes, and more. There would be a lot of wasted energy expended on the wrong things.
With a match, you target exactly the outcome you want in a more economical and fruitful way. You reach your objective without melting the candles or leaving a big mess behind.
So, how do you want to market you music? With a match ... or a flamethrower?
Internet Music Marketing Crash Course
Are you confused about Internet promotion? Not sure where to start? You'll have a clear vision and a solid game plan once you digest this amazing collection of resources.
Learn More ... Get more tips like these when you subscribe to my free Buzz Factor ezine — the longest running music career tips email newsletter on the planet. Since 1995. Learn more about the free subscription here.
Your email address will not be shared. Unsubscribe at any time.
Connect with Bob on Google+
FREE Music Tips Ezine
- Get Bob's Free Music Marketing Tips by Email. Find out more.
What About Bob?
Bob Baker is an author, speaker, teacher, indie musician and former music magazine editor dedicated to showing musicians of all kinds how to get exposure, connect with fans, sell more music, and increase their incomes.
Guerrilla Music Marketing Online
129 Free & Low-Cost Ways to Promote & Sell Your Music on the Internet
Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook:
201 Self-Promotion Ideas for Song-
writers, Musicians and Bands on a Budget
- Killer Music Press Kits
- Guerrilla Music Marketing, Encore Edition
- Killer Music Web Sites
- DIY Music Marketing for the Serious Musician
- How to Tap Into NACA and the Lucrative College Music Market
- Online Music PR Hot List
- How to Use Video to Promote Your Music Online
- 55 Ways to Promote & Sell Your Book on the Internet
- How to Publish Your Own Indie Book
- Unleash the Artist Within
Connect with Bob on
- The Million-Dollar Idea Challenge
- New Facebook Music Promotion & Marketing Resource ...
- Great Music Sales Lesson from the Raveonettes
- My Free Gift to YOU - And a Special Offer
- Meet Me in LA This Sunday, May 23, 4-6 PM
- A Simple Way to Help Nashville Music Flood Victims...
- Surprising News About Attracting New Fans
- 5 Tweets Every Musician Should Avoid
- Don't Cater to Average: Your Fans Will Support You...
- Guerrilla Music Marketing Mastermind Group - Wanna...
Favorite Music Blogs
- DIY Musician
- Music Think Tank
- David Hooper
- Ariel Hyatt
- Derek Sivers
- Brian Thompson
- Michael Brandvold
- Artists House Music
- Bob Lefsetz
Copyright 2004-2013 Bob Baker