Bob Baker's The Buzz Factor
Music marketing tips and self-promotion ideas for independent songwriters, musicians and bands.
Music marketing ideas for DIY artists, managers, promoters and music biz pros
April 06, 2011
Funny Songs: How to Use Humor to Connect w/ Fans
If so, you may be sitting on a powerful way to connect with more fans!
I've often said, the best way to grow an audience is to produce music that creates some sort of physical and/or emotional reaction in people.
If your music inspires listeners to laugh or cry or relax or feel aroused or want to get up and dance ... your promotion efforts will be a lot more fruitful.
When your music or message gets people to FEEL something, they will have a much deeper connection with you -- and it will greatly increase the odds that they will share your music with other people ... because they were so touched by how you made them feel.
But there's something about laughter, in particular, that I find especially infectious. There's a lot of research on the positive effects and even health benefits of laughter.
A good laugh relaxes the body, boosts the immune system, triggers the release of endorphins, and protects the heart. What a great gift to give to someone!
I just posted a video of a funny original song I wrote called "Thankful." It's a little grainy and the sound quality isn't stellar, but I think the reactions from the live audience make up for it.
(Note: Hang in there until about the 2 minute mark, when the funniest parts start coming.)
So ... do you have any funny songs or humorous observations to share with your fans?
If so, record an audio or video of it and post it online. And make it easy for people to share it with others.
Go forth and spread a little laughter today!
P.S. What are your thoughts on the power of humor to attract an audience and connect with fans? I welcome your comments below.
The photo above is by Martin Kimeldorf on Flickr. Get more tips like these when you subscribe to my free Buzz Factor ezine — the longest running music career tips email newsletter on the planet. Since 1995. Learn more about the free subscription here.
Your email address will not be shared. Unsubscribe at any time.
Connect with Bob on Google+
FREE Music Tips Ezine
- Get Bob's Free Music Marketing Tips by Email. Find out more.
What About Bob?
Bob Baker is an author, speaker, teacher, indie musician and former music magazine editor dedicated to showing musicians of all kinds how to get exposure, connect with fans, sell more music, and increase their incomes.
Guerrilla Music Marketing Online
129 Free & Low-Cost Ways to Promote & Sell Your Music on the Internet
Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook:
201 Self-Promotion Ideas for Song-
writers, Musicians and Bands on a Budget
- Killer Music Press Kits
- Guerrilla Music Marketing, Encore Edition
- Killer Music Web Sites
- DIY Music Marketing for the Serious Musician
- How to Tap Into NACA and the Lucrative College Music Market
- Online Music PR Hot List
- How to Use Video to Promote Your Music Online
- 55 Ways to Promote & Sell Your Book on the Internet
- How to Publish Your Own Indie Book
- Unleash the Artist Within
Connect with Bob on
- Shift Happens: A Story of Frustration & Opportunit...
- The Surprising Truth About Making a Living with Mu...
- Your Story: A Powerful Way to Connect with Music F...
- Where Passion Meets Profit - How to Make Money w/ ...
- One Way to Energize Your Music Career in 2011
- Ted Williams: The Feel-Good Story of the Year!
- 2011 Music Marketing Trends You Need to Know About...
- Q&A: Do Artists Today Really Need Their Own Websit...
- Q&A: 3 Examples of Guerrilla Music Marketing in Ac...
- Music Marketing Q&A with Bob Baker
Favorite Music Blogs
- DIY Musician
- Music Think Tank
- David Hooper
- Ariel Hyatt
- Derek Sivers
- Brian Thompson
- Michael Brandvold
- Artists House Music
- Bob Lefsetz
Copyright 2004-2013 Bob Baker