Bob Baker's The Buzz Factor
Music marketing tips and self-promotion ideas for independent songwriters, musicians and bands.
Music marketing ideas for DIY artists, managers, promoters and music biz pros
October 07, 2011
Steve Jobs: Let His Life Inspire YOUR Legacy
Here are a few rough numbers to consider:
- 300 million iPods sold
- 16 billions songs downloaded from iTunes
- 225 million iTunes Store customer accounts
- 100 million books downloaded from iBooks
- 25 million iPads sold
- 15 billion apps downloaded from the App Store
Yes, we should honor his life and be saddened by his passing at such a young age. And moving forward, there will no doubt be plenty of people who will question how Apple operates without its iconic leader at the helm.
But what I encourage you to consider is this ...
What can we learn from Steve Jobs on the topic of leaving a legacy and making an impact on the world during our short time on this planet?
Luckily, he left us with a good bit of advice. Later this month, his authorized biography by Walter Isaacson will be published. It's already a bestseller on Amazon, based on preorders alone.
He also gave an inspiring commencement speech at Stanford University in 2005. The video has gone viral since his death. Here's just part of what he said that day:
"You're time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma, which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."Watch the full video of his Stanford commencement speech, then I encourage you to leave a comment below. Give me any thoughts you have on Steve Jobs and his legacy. Then, more important, make a public statement about how you will live your life so your impact is felt long after you are gone.
Hint: You don't have to be a global figure or sell millions of "units" to accomplish this. You can leave a legacy on whatever scale you choose to work - small, medium or large. The main thing is to leave behind something of value for someone.
How are you doing that today?
P.S. It just occurred to me that I wrote this post on my new iPad 2, which I bought a couple weeks ago and absolutely love. Thanks again, Steve, for the influence you’ve had on our lives! Get more tips like these when you subscribe to my free Buzz Factor ezine — the longest running music career tips email newsletter on the planet. Since 1995. Learn more about the free subscription here.
Your email address will not be shared. Unsubscribe at any time.
Connect with Bob on Google+
FREE Music Tips Ezine
- Get Bob's Free Music Marketing Tips by Email. Find out more.
What About Bob?
Bob Baker is an author, speaker, teacher, indie musician and former music magazine editor dedicated to showing musicians of all kinds how to get exposure, connect with fans, sell more music, and increase their incomes.
Guerrilla Music Marketing Online
129 Free & Low-Cost Ways to Promote & Sell Your Music on the Internet
Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook:
201 Self-Promotion Ideas for Song-
writers, Musicians and Bands on a Budget
- Killer Music Press Kits
- Guerrilla Music Marketing, Encore Edition
- Killer Music Web Sites
- DIY Music Marketing for the Serious Musician
- How to Tap Into NACA and the Lucrative College Music Market
- Online Music PR Hot List
- How to Use Video to Promote Your Music Online
- 55 Ways to Promote & Sell Your Book on the Internet
- How to Publish Your Own Indie Book
- Unleash the Artist Within
Connect with Bob on
- New DIY Music Workshop Hits 5 Cities This Fall - C...
- How to Sell & License Cover Songs, YouTube, Pompla...
- Don't Let the Bastards in the Door! The Cure for E...
- Google+ Hangouts for Music Promotion
- Google+ for Music Marketing
- 7 Ways to Destroy Your Music Career - The Video
- The Jonathan Coulton, Amanda Hocking Success Formu...
- Meet Kendra, My New Assistant!
- Facebook + Bandcamp = I Had No Idea You Could Do T...
- 48-Hour Sale: 4 Music Titles Only $9.95 - Ends Fri...
Favorite Music Blogs
- DIY Musician
- Music Think Tank
- David Hooper
- Ariel Hyatt
- Derek Sivers
- Brian Thompson
- Michael Brandvold
- Artists House Music
- Bob Lefsetz
Copyright 2004-2013 Bob Baker